Commonly used Pain Killer Injection (Diclofenac Injection) can be Dangerous
Diclofenac is contraindicated in
- Ischaemic heart disease.
- Peripheral arterial disease.
- Cerebrovascular disease.
- Congestive heart failure.
- Post COVID vaccination myalgia : Injection of Diclofenac is an absolute contraindication . If not heeded can be fatal). Recently a young
- For treatment of pain, post coronary artery bypass graft.
- patient with Asthma.
- Renal insufficiency ( Kidney disease )
Kounis Syndrome triggered by Diclofenac Sodium injection leading to myocardial infarction and cardiac arrest. ( Journal of Cardiology cases July 2013).
The Risk of heart attack probably due to allergic reaction after administration of this drug must be kept in mind .
This probability is much higher after injection than after oral intake.
If NSAID is required : Naproxen or low dose ibuprofen have most favorable thrombotic cardiovascular safety profiles of all non selective NSAIDs.
If Diclofenac is required, this should only be initiated after risk factors for cardiovascular events (Hypertension, hyperlipidaemia, Diabetes and smoking ) have been carefully considered.
Diclofenac injection should only be given if patient is not able to take it by mouth.