Balanced healthy diet and healthy life style for healthy bones and joints.
Vitamin D is important for healthy bones. It helps in absorption of Calcium from the gut. Sun rays are the best source of Vitamin D in addition to healthy balanced diet with three dairy products every day in your meal.
Normal calcium intake per day:
- Infants: 500mg
- Children: 400mg
- Adults: 1000 mg
- Pregnant and lactating women 1.5 gram
- Elderly people do not require more calcium than normal adult.
Other factors contributing to healthy bones:
- Regular high impact physical exercise
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Normal body weight.
- Too much caffeine.
- Salt more than 6 gm / day.
- Fizzy drinks.
- Excessive and extreme form of exercise for women of child bearing age . It can affect menstrual cycle adversely.
Some of these women can develop classical female athlete TRIAD:
- Disordered eating